Saturday, September 13, 2008

blog#1

Lorden, Abigail A. (2008) "Eat, Drink and Play Games." Hospitality technology, 08 Sept. 2008.



URL: http://www.htmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=PublishingTitles&mid=3E19674330734FF1BBDA3D67B50C82F1&tier=4&id=57E685C6923646828D0A367993A3EA2F





Summary:

This article describes a creative restaurant system which combines eating, drinking and playing games together. It was started by a restaurant entrepreneur Nolan Bushnell, who introduced games into restaurants, by which he pushed his entertainment companies to a new high level. It seemed to be a venture at first, and then was proved to be a big success. At first they mounted touch screen terminals at each table for the purpose of operation of games. The game system is built with a Web 2.0 approach and employing XML to move data around, which makes users feel like using the internet, although it is a closed network. Right after the touch screen terminals were on the tables, they became the foundation of the restaurant automation. The touch screen terminals are loaded with digital restaurant menus and a breadth of games that facilitate interaction among guests. With this system, customers can order food and drink by themselves from the terminals, play games while waiting food, and pay bills. Customers get one hour free games when eat in the restaurant. If they intend to play more, it charges. In the future not far from now, users will be able to use their cell phone as an operator to play games. In addition, thanks to this system, a restaurant is able to manager more tables with less waiters or waitresses and provide higher service quality. The Bushnells is working on introducing other restaurant brands to use this platform.



Reflection:

When I read the title of this article, I felt a little confused: what is the link between “eat, drink” and “play games”? And then I went through the article. I am so impressed by the creative idea of introducing game platform into a restaurant. I was always thinking about the waiting line problem of a restaurant in the rush hour when I was in China. It is a serious problem because the large population in China. We use waiting numbers, we try to put a TV or Video at restaurants, but it seems not satisfy the customer very well. Firstly, when customers get their waiting numbers, some of them stay in the waiting area, which makes no big difference from waiting in a line, except that they can sit down in stead of standing. Secondly, some of the customers might walk round after getting their waiting numbers. They meet problems as well. Not every of them are so lucky that they are back at the perfect time, they would have to wait for some while or they have to take the waiting numbers and wait once more because they missed the call. We never think about providing games for the waiting customers. So that is great! I don’t worry about the technology platform of this idea. The only point I concern by now is the time of table occupation. Since customers have so much fun sitting at the table no mater with food, drink or not, it may make them occupy the table for longer time than that they spend in a regular restaurant. Although the author presents a countermeasure to this problem—free game for an hour and then charged, unless the charge of the game, whether by time or by game, is higher than the amount the restaurant would receive from food or drink service at the same period of time, the income would not be able to cover the opportunity cost.

5 comments:

kutay said...

I totally agree with Kunwei that this kind of technology will broaden the vision of restaurant managers in terms of customer service. However, according to Kunwei's reflection, I think she got confused about the main purpose of this technology. It does not prevent people from getting bored when they are waiting in the line or even in the waiting rooms. Those devices are put on the tables and most of them are attached to the table. However, some restaurants also use wireless devices for that. To give an example, Grottos on the Main St. Eventually, they are not giving those devices to customers waiting in the line in case of a probable theft which is completely logical in my opinion. I think this technology will most likely be preferred for cutting the work force in restaurants and providing better and quicker service to the customers.

Ekaterina Berezina said...

I am also excited about the idea of using gaming technologies in restaurants and share Kunwei’s impression. Even though example of waiting line problems in restaurants seems to be not very relevant to the topic I see that the article actually made Kunwei think about Chinese restaurant market issues. Customer satisfaction, high-quality and quick service, profitability are the things that we really should be concerned about. As for me reading this article I found out one more interesting example of using Web 2.0 technology in hospitality industry – in restaurant business. Being implemented primary for providing quicker service and entertainment, gaming technology is supposed to increase guest satisfaction and attract new visitors. I think restaurants could also use these gaming devices to get feedback from their customers.

Wen Shen said...

Actually I've chosen the same article as Kunwei. I guess why we both thought this article interesting is that it made us think and dream.
I seriously concerned about the future of China's restaurant. As I experienced a lot, restaurants management in China mostly depend on labor but not information system. This is the traditional way for restaurant operation. However, it is not the most effecient and effective way, obviously. As a matter of fact, we need change. Although, this kind of new technology will certainly cost much, it will also bring more profits and ideas to restaurants.
I hope China restaurants could implement this kind of technology in future. I also hope one day I could make some major contribution to the China's hospitality industry as well.

Miss T. Brady said...

Kunwei makes a valid point of a guest staying at the table longer than usual which is a drawback I didn’t consider when reading the summary. However, if the customer is willing to stay and pay for the game, it may lead to them buying more drinks, or possibly ordering dessert when they usually would not. Also, the lower labor costs from not having to schedule as many servers on the floor might offset this drawback as well. I think this restaurant system is a great innovative technology that will appeal to people who are dining alone. These diners would have something to interact with while they are waiting for their food, which would lead to higher satisfaction for the restaurant. The system also works well for diners who want more of a self-service atmosphere, or who have time constraints, since they will not have to wait for someone to take their order or collect their bill. I would love to try out this technology, and hope that it is something that will expand in the future.

jiexik said...

I find a shop-www.bestshopweb.com,there have some UGG shoes,the shoes is cheap,beautiful,safe.I suggest that you can go to the shop if you are free.


welcome to our web-www.bestshopweb.com.Here,you can find some beautiful UGG shoes,we are certain that the goods are fine and the price is cheap.we are sure that you will have a happy travel in here.


www.bestshopweb.com-a good website where is sell beautiful shoes ,I bought one in there ,and I feel the shoe is fine ,besides the price is very cheap. if you have some time,you can go to there to have a look.